Police Search for 9 Missing "High Risk" Sex Offenders

Posted on October 25th, 2010 No Comments

A review of Massachusetts’ sex offender database showed that police cannot account for the whereabouts of nine Level 3 sex offenders.

A Level 3 sex offender is considered the “most likely” to re-offend by the state of Massachusetts. The nine missing offenders include three molesters and an attempted rapist in Haverhill, three molesters in Lawrence, a molester in Methuen, and a rapist in Andover. One f the missing men is Carlos Beltran, who has been on the state’s 10 Most Wanted Sex Offenders since July 2009. Investigators have been looking for Beltran since he failed to appear at a probation hearing in July 2008. In 2006, he was convicted of sexually assaulting two teenage girls.

Local police, state police, and the U.S. Marshals are all involved the investigation of these nine sex offenders.

State police detectives assigned to Logan Airport recently caught a wanted sex offender from New Hampshire at South Station. Police say the offender, 29 year-old Justin Levasseur, had been on the run since May 19, 2008, after he failed to registered as a sex offender. He was convicted of two counts of felonious sexual assault in 1998.

As for the other missing offenders, police say the investigation is ongoing. “We’re still developing leads,” said state police spokesman David Procopio.

If you need assistance in the realm of Massachusetts sex crime law, please contact the Massachusetts sex crime defense attorneys of James Powderly by calling 508-343-0676.

Massachusetts Sex Offender Arrested at S.C. State Fair

Posted on October 21st, 2010 No Comments

U.S. Marshals have arrested a wanted Massachusetts sex offender who was workig at the South Carolina State Fair.

Authorities say Shaawn Downer is facing charges of possession of child pornography, a sex offense against of child and failure to register as a sex offender. According to officials with the U.S. Marshals, 37 year-old downer was working as a food vendor with a company based out of New York.

In 2005, Downer was convicted of 512 counts of Possession of Child Pornography based on an investigation conducted by Massachusetts State Police. In the summer of 2009, Downer moved to Yarmouth and registered as a Level 2 Sex Offender. Later that year, police conducted a follow-up investigation that determined the suspect had moved without notifying authorities, which is in violation of Massachusetts state law.

A South Carolina judge denied Downer’s bond Wednesday. He will be sent back to Massachusetts to face charges.

If you need help in the realm of Massachusetts sex crime law, please contact the Massachusetts sex crime lawyers of James Powderly by calling 508-343-0676.

High School Basketball Coach Indicted For Massachusetts Sex Crime

Posted on October 14th, 2010 No Comments

Ernest Lorch, founder of the famous Riverside Church High School basketball program, has been indicted by a Massachusetts grand jury for molesting a teenager in Amherst more than 30 years ago.

The two-page indictment, handed down Tuesday, charges Lorch with indecent assault and battery of a person over 14 years-old and attempted rape. The maximum penalty for both counts is five years in a Massachusetts state prison. The indictment contends Lorch assaulted a teen some time between March 1977 and April 1978. The chief of the child abuse division of the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, Jane Mulqueen, said the alleged victim had traveled to the University of Massachusetts with Lorch to attend a basketball tournament.

The indictment identifies the alleged victim as “B.W.” Prosecuting attorney Lawrence Luttrell said the alleged victim is a former Riverside player. “B.W.’s focus right now is to cooperate with the prosecutor’s office in his capacity as the victim of the crime that Ernest Lorch has been accused of committing,” Luttrell said.

Lorch filed a lawsuit against B.W. and two other men alleging attempted extortion. Lorch claims the men threatened to go public with sex abuse claims unless the basketball coach paid them off. That suit is still pending, Luttrell said.

“We are hopeful that new evidence will further support our position that the ridiculous civil suit filed by [Lorch] will be dismissed so as not to interfere with the criminal investigation.” said Luttrell.  “We are also hopeful that this new development gives courage to any other victims of abuse in this country to overcome their fear of coming forward.”

For more information on Massachusetts sex crime law, please contact the Massachusetts sex crimes attorney James Powderly by calling 508-343-0676.

Woman Escapes Sex Offender Outside Wal-Mart

Posted on October 6th, 2010 No Comments

A Wareham woman was allegedly attacked by a level-3 sex offender in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart Friday evening.

According to officials with the Wareham Police Department, the 36 year-old woman, who has not been named, screamed and bit her attacker several times before escaping into the store for help. The incident occurred at the Cranberry Highway Wal-Mart in Wareham, about 55 miles south-southeast of Boston.

The victim and several witnesses were able to provide the police with a description of the assailant. He was identified as 36 year-old Lance Porter, also of Wareham. Police say Porter approached the woman shortly after 10:00 p.m. Friday as she left the store, grabbed her, covered her mouth and attempted to drag her to his truck.

Porter is a registered level-3 sex offender. He is currently being held on $100.000 bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned at a Wareham District Court on Monday, October 4.

For more information on Massachusetts sex crime law, please contact the Massachusetts sex crime defense lawyer James Powderly by calling 508-34300676.


Interview with a Former DUI Client

Archives

Categories

Blogroll

Admin